Preparation for Employment and Supported Internships
The West London Alliance Supported Employment Programme has been established to increase the number inclusive employment opportunities for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Currently less than 7% of young adults with learning disabilities are in paid employment in the UK*.
The Supported Employment programme is:
- Developing a range of pathways into employment including structured work experience placements, Supported Internships, Traineeships and Inclusive Apprenticeships.
- Raising awareness and expectations of employment through a series of communications and events aimed at young people, Schools, Colleges, Parents & Carers and employers.
- Working in partnership with Health Education England and the NHS to widen participation in employment within the Health and Care sector
Supported Internships are:
- Structured skills training programmes designed to enable young people with SEND to achieve sustainable, paid employment by equipping them with the skills they need for work through learning in the workplace.
- Managed in partnership with a host business, a Local Authority, an education provider and a supported employment provider who facilitate the move into paid employment.
- Achieving employment outcomes of upwards of 65% in West London.
In 2015 there were 6 Supported Internship Programmes in West London offering 66 places per year. In the 2019-2020 academic year there are 14 programmes and 185 places per year available with more programmes being established every year.
The West London Guide to Supported Internships can be found here.
Internships are hosted in a range of business sectors including the following West London locations:
- Hilton London Heathrow Terminal 5
- Northwick Park Hospital
- West London NHS Trust HQ
- GSK (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Charing Cross Hospital
- Hounslow Council
- Transport for London
- West Middlesex University Hospital
- Marriott Hotel Heathrow
- Hammersmith and Fulham Council
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
- Public Health England
- Westminster Council
Download the West London Guide to Supported Internships 2020
For further information on the Supported Internship Programme please contact:
Chris Delger at DelgerC@ealing.gov.uk
Amanda Griffiths at GriffithsA@ealing.gov.uk
*Source: The Royal Mencap Society